Tuesday, 7 October 2014

Motivation - Helping Others



When I first entered university in 1999 I had dreams and ambitions of becoming a high flying corporate executive. I was motivated and I thought I would get a job in Singapore and be in charge of large marketing accounts. I would have the world at my feet and I would be important. 

However, the further I went through my course, the more I grew against marketing. I slowly became the anti-marketer, seeing all the problems that marketing creates. The tools and tricks that people and companies used to motivate and help separate people from their hard earned money.

Motivated to take your money
It sent me down a different path away from the high flying exec, to a humble teacher, well maybe not that humble. I started to develop a desire to teach and educate people about how they were being manipulated. I wanted to help people to discover a better way of living for themselves. 

I do not believe that money is the be all and end all of existence. I will not deny it is important, as without money it becomes very hard to do things, but even without money you can still have a good time. I also believe that in order to get money, you should not have to make someone worse off.

While I believe that money is not the most important thing in the world, there is nothing wrong with being rich. However, I want you to decide how you are going to make your money. Do you make your money at the expense of other people or do you make it through helping them?

I believe that for me to make money there should be an equal exchange. That is, if I am selling books on motivation, then the information inside of those books should be of quality, and you should be able to get something out of it. I don’t believe in cobbling together some useless and random information just so I get paid. 

You see I was born with an infliction call ethics. My ethics stop me from just ripping people off. I wish I could be evil and just pick the pockets of unsuspecting customers. I could be living a life of luxury on some tropical island somewhere. Alas that is not to be. 

I am destined to finish last, because I am a nice guy. 

That, however, is not a problem. I would rather not be rich then to make my money from abusing peoples trust.  This is why I didn’t get into marketing. I couldn’t stand designing advertising that was just going rip people off in the long run. 
Success through helping people

I hope that you can be the same. There are many ways of making money and helping people at the same time. You can run a business like mine where you help to motivate people. You can run any business where you ensure that what people buy, be it product or service, they get value for their money. You can also invest your money. I own various properties. That allows me to give people quality housing at affordable rates. 

Whatever it is that you want to do; you must ensure that it is worth it. Don’t let greed guide you. Use your motivation and work to help other people. You will become richer than you ever thought, and not just in money. You will be happier with yourself, you will have more friends, your work will be more enjoyable and you will just have a better life. So when you go to do something in your business, try to ensure that what you sell has value for the people buying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.